The Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) is now accepting applications for its Post-Secondary Scholarships for 2015.
Two union members, or the children of members, will be selected from a pool of applicants to each receive a scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to support them as they enter the first year of full-time post-secondary study in September 2015.
The scholarships will be awarded in honour of distinguished trade union activists who have made a significant contribution to the life and growth of the labour movement in Ontario.
Eligible candidates must:
- Be a current member, or the child of a member, of a local union affiliated to the OFL;
- Be enrolled for September 2015 to enter their first year of full-time study (leading to a diploma or certificate) at a public Ontario community college or the first year of an undergraduate program (leading to a degree) at a publicly-funded Ontario university;
- Not have any prior post-secondary studies;
- Be currently enrolled or not more than 2 years out of secondary school; and
- Submit an essay on the topic below.
The criteria for selection of the scholarship winners are the following:
- A brief résumé outlining non-academic interests and activities, such as community or political involvement as well as goals for the future.
- Evidence of understanding of the role and significance of the Canadian labour movement.
In order to satisfy point (2) above, applicants will be required to submit an essay of not more than 1,000 words. This year’s topic is:
How do labour unions provide a pathway out of poverty and improve the wages and working standards for every worker?
In particular, how can unions benefit people from diverse communities, such as women, new immigrants, racialized people, people with disabilities, Aboriginal people, and lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered people?
The deadline for receipt of applications is July 10, 2015. An Application Form is enclosed or can be found on-line at www.ofl.ca/index.php/scholarships.
A PDF version of the application can be downloaded here.
The winners will be announced in August 2015.